Friday, January 2, 2009

A Coughing Fit

So, I haven't been riding lately.

The warmer than usual autumn weather prompted me to not dress as warmly, and now I have a cough that I can't get rid of. I really don't want to aggravate it by being out in the cold, so I have been driving to work.

I must say that I like how my time spent actually getting my vehicle ready to go in the morning is shorter.

I went from 10 minutes to 60 seconds.

On my motorcycle:

1. Walk outside to deck, place helmet, coffee cup and gloves on corner of deck.
2. Pet dog.
3. Walk to motorcycle shed and unlock.
4. Put motorcycle in neutral and back down ramp and into driveway. Try and get enough momentum on the ramp to take you into the turn so that you are perpendicular to the road, while still in the driveway. If not enough momentum is gained, then the motorcycle will have to be pushed back by hand and that sucks, so get those feet a-going.
5. Start motorcycle.
6. Walk to the deck and retrieve the gear.
7. Put gear on motorcycle.
8. Check motorcycle over for road-worthyness.
9. Stop checking motorcycle and throw the frisbee for the dog. It will get rid of him for at least 10 seconds. 15 if you are lucky and he has problems picking it up.
10. Repeat step 9 until shed door closed, motorcycle checked, gear on and coffee cup stowed.
11. Ride to Safeway and get coffee.

In my pickup:

1. Walk outside to deck and driveway, petting dog along the way. Don't worry about the frisbee because he won't have enough time to go get it while you are on your way to the truck.
2. Get into truck.
3. Start truck.
4. Drive to Safeway and get coffee.


I must admit that I like the ease that my pickup was. Just get in it and go.

So our nicer-than-normal autumn weather suddenly turned winter-like in the first weeks of December. You know, snow and everything. That kind of weather usually waits until the new year to present itself, but this year it must have been tired of waiting.

But this morning was the first day that looked like rain, snow and other nasty weather might avoid, so I decided to ride my motorcycle to church.

After about a month and a half of driving (wow, gas bills are high when you do that) I was looking forward to riding my motorcycle.

I must admit, it felt like I was meeting an old friend after a long absence.

I saw three other motorcycles today while out and about.

I think that my first wave was rather over-enthusiastic.

Oh well.


Ta!

Balisada

2 comments:

  1. Riding a motorcycle to church seems redundant.

    What does the dog do after you ride or drive off and leave him alone?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake is a pretty good dog.

    Folks who have been at my house when I ride up say that he recognizes my motorcycle (and my pickup too) and goes to the door when I am still at the corner.

    When I leave he watches intently (probably to see if I change my mind and come home).

    It's kind of nice.

    ReplyDelete