Monday, November 24, 2008

Foggy Bottoms

So several weeks ago, the uniform guy wandered into my office at work peddling his new catalog and one of the items was a high vis vest. Apparently there is a new rule that says something about safety vests needing to be 'screaming yellow.'

One of the vests caught my eye, and after using it for a few weeks, I have to say that I am still happy.

It gets pretty foggy in the Willamette Valley in the mornings, so I am glad for the vest.

An unexpected side effect is that folks tend to think that I am a safety person.

Except the lady at the market who thought that I was a bus driver.

I was in a hurry and on the phone, so I couldn't politely inquire as to what would make her think that I drove a bus for a living. It wasn't until too late I realized that the high vis vest must be required for bus drivers too.

I can live with that.

As long as it gets me seen.

If I see the lady in the store again, I will apologize for not explaining (she was rather nice).

Ta!

Balisada

3 comments:

  1. I'm due for a new jacket this winter, this time around it'll be a high-vis jacket. Either Olympia or AeroStitch.

    A few years ago, I found my gear wardrobe gravitating towards earthtones in the interest of being fairly neutral with whatever bike I happened to be riding that day. Trouble is, when I wear those earthtones, I'm the same color of the earth! That's a problem.

    E.T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that high vis is a good way to go. And someone I know loves his Aerostitch.

    Balisada

    ReplyDelete
  3. A few years ago Katie and I rode to Bend. That was one of the many years with a bunch of fires. We'd be walking around holding our helmets and wearing our slightly dirty Hi Viz 'stiches.

    So many people asked us if we were fire fighters! Interesting.

    It's critical to be visible on a motorcycle, for sure. Although I never thought I'd say this, but those Olympia colors are almost too bright!

    ReplyDelete