Wednesday, June 4, 2008

After 20 Years

A post at Rebel250.com piqued my interest. Click here for post if you are interested.

Someone read a mid year speech by the Honda CEO and posted the interesting parts.

Here they are:
"Honda plans to install PGM-FI [Honda's motorcycle fuel injection technology] on most of its motorcycles worldwide by the end of 2010. "

"Honda plans to install ABS in all 250cc or larger class models worldwide, except off-road models, by the end of 2010."

"In advanced nations, Honda will introduce its innovative environmental and safety technologies including a Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) system for motorcycles which significantly improves fuel efficiency"

Essentially, it means that the Rebel will be getting a facelift.

The Rebel was introduced in 1985 by Honda. Except for a few cosmetic changes, it is the same motorcycle 20 years later.

How is that for staying power?

And now it's going to change. The new Rebels will be getting fuel injection, Anti lock brakes, and a few other extras (someone in the thread mentioned liquid cooling and improved charging components will be needed to support the new additions).

As I ponder the additions, I think that a lot is being added to a rather small motorcycle.

Now, if Honda still had the 450 Rebel hanging around, they could simply kabosh the 250 and put the extras on the 450, since it seems to be more able to handle them.

Of course, I am not a mechanic. Perhaps the Rebel can handle it.

Whatever the result, change is in the wind for Hondas, and a small part of me is jealous.



Ta!

Balisada

2 comments:

  1. The Rebel's been around for more than 20 years and I can understand why they haven't changed much on them thus far, no need to mess with a good thing. Those changes you mentioned though are sure to make an already good machine even better! Of course the price tag will reflect that too, the only downside I can see.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, think that the changes will improve the bike (I would love to have ABS), but since I am not a mechanic, I don't know many details.

    I just hope that they don't do away with the Rebel, in favor of moving folks towards a larger bike (I don't think that they have much, if any, profit margin on the Rebel).

    Even with a larger price tag, it will still be an excellent entry-level bike.

    Balisada

    ReplyDelete