Thursday, January 31, 2008

Distracted Driving and Multitasking

I know that I am supposed to be droning on about where I went on my motorcycle, and what I did when I got there, but the weather has been rather unco-operative lately. Although I almost rode today, I was dissuaded by the thought of my mom or dad finding out (stop rolling your eyeballs ;) - It's simply not worth the hassle of them calling me and complaining.)

I read a couple of articles about similar topics.

The first was about multitasking.

URL:
http://www.informationweek.com/shared/printableArticle.jhtml?articleID=205921005


The folks at OSU have done a study and found that really, you can only do so much at once.

Really.

They found that 4 is really the most that you can do at once. If you do more than that, you are doing a lousy job.

Which brings me to my next article that I found from Bikes in the Fast Lane.

It's a collection of motorcycles that have lots of doo-dads on and around the handlebars.

URL:
http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf/dx/busy-motorcycle-cockpit-too-much-data.htm

Motorcyclists are quick to complain that drivers always seem be distracted, but as technology becomes more affordable, are motorcyclists starting down the same distracted path?

We joke about the reasons that a Goldwing rider does not wave back (#2 Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height, programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite navigation system.) But as the toys get more sophisticated, that statement may someday be true.

So, since people can really only think of 4 things at once, and "gadget bloat" is increasing, how many toys do you really want on your motorcycle?

I read a book called "Chickenhawk". It's about a helicopter pilot in Vietnam. He mentioned in the book that they don't actually look at all the dials at once, they are trained to look at them in patterns. Perhaps those with all the gadgets don't look at them all once.

Okay. Whatever works.

As long as you don't crash into me.

So each post should have one picture, and below is a picture of my rebels friend. I parked it in an empty lot, and returned to discover that my Rebel had found a friend.




Ta!

Balisada

2 comments:

  1. I lmao on this post! Not so long ago, I found myself on the back of a friend's bike and quickly decided it would be the last time ever on the back of a bike. He was riding along, pointing out stuff for me too look at even tho as a rider I had nothing else to do but look and fiddling with his GPS. I do believe, motorcyclists can soon shut up about distracted drivers. The only thing a GW is lacking is something over your head!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, as gadgets become smaller they will inevitably find themselves onto motorcycles and this time we will have only ourselves to blame.

    Balisada

    ReplyDelete