Sunday, November 21, 2010

Easy Solutions

I took some time off of trying to fix my motorcycle, opting instead to look at it through the window. It's broken and damaged state driving home my inadequacies as a mechanic. Despite my gloom, I was rewarded by a thought that turned out to be the solution.

I had known that after adjusting the chain the brakes need to be adjusted. The two systems are interconnected in a way that I am simply not aware of unless I do a complete teardown of a motorcycle (which actually sounds like a good idea).

So I went outside and adjusted my rear brake and rewarded with a working motorcycle!

Yay me!

The chain still needs to be adjusted, but it is a working motorcycle, and the chain is not as loose as it once was.

So I have once again been riding everywhere on it, but with the weather getting colder, I have to be careful.

I had already added the inner liner to my jacket a few weeks ago, and just last week dug out the really good gloves for the really cold weather.

Despite my precautions, I was surprised to discover that I was freezing on the way home from Media Team practice one evening last week.

Several days later I was surprised to find that the vent liners in my arms were open.

Ok.

That would explain why I was sooo cold.

I have a tendency to unzip the vents in my arms when I first put in the liner in my jacket. This is because the warmth of the liner is not needed all the time, but when it is needed, I can't stop and put in the liner. So the vents in the arms unzipped and the cold and warmth balance out, except that I had forgotten they were unzipped.

Ok.  Got to work that.

Still looking for the camera cable, so no pictures yet.

Ta!



Balisada


7 comments:

  1. I read your last post and thought you had the chain figured out. I never even considered drum brakes being the hang up, but I can clearly understand now why you were having such a difficult time. If you ever need help just ask us local bloggers/riders for help, but you have to ask.
    Glad you're up and running again, I laughed when you discovered your vents were open, it usually takes a good rain before I realize mine are open.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did leave that kind of open to interpretation. I will ask for help in the future, it is always something that I needed to work on.

    Balisada

    ReplyDelete
  3. With me it's the upper helmet vents. My helmet has three on top. Last night I rode home from a class in Lebanon. Wondered why my scalp was so cold!

    Nice job on the remodel here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't it amazing that we can be so conscientious about riding our motorcycles and recall procedures for all sorts of situations and know the science behind the different aspects of motorcycle riding and still forget a small thing like vents?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that I am not alone on that one. I also wondered why I got friggin' cold despite the liner. And yes, the cure was simply zippin' up the vents... argh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The devil is in the details isn't it?

    Balisada

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the new look of the blog. Hope this means more posts.
    ~Keith

    ReplyDelete